Marketing is also a crucial activity in travel and tourism sector because it allows the business entity to promote the products and services properly at different market places. Thomas Cook has been emphasizing on varied marketing campaigns so as to promote new and attractive holiday packages. In the present case, Thomas Cook is launching its summer 2016 holidays to Morocco and Egypt and in order to promote the holiday package, Thomas Cook is organizing different campaigns and promotional events (Alegre and Cladera, 2009). Thus, in such respect, researcher has discussed relevance and importance of market research to Thomas cook Group. Furthermore, researcher has also stated the impact and influence of marketing practices on society and along with that, the concept of total tourism product is also stated. Similarly, the core concept of marketing for travel and tourism sector is stated along with the impact of marketing environment on individual business entity. Lastly, researcher has assessed the integrated nature and role of the promotional mix in marketing processes of Thomas Cook.
Task 1: Understand the concepts and principles of marketing in the travel and tourism sector
1.1 Discuss the core concepts of marketing for the travel and tourism sector
Marketing is the process where in Thomas Cook promotes its products and services to the consumer market segment as per the needs and demands of end users. It is essential for the business unit to develop an understanding of various marketing concepts. This in turn helps in supporting business operations for long run.
Facing Problem Writing dissertation
- Premium Quality Papers
- Plagiarism Free Content.
- 100% Money-back Guarantee
- Certified and Experienced Writers
- 24/7 Customer Support
Consumers’ needs and wants: The organization needs to identify consumers’ needs and wants. The concept of marketing emphasizes on identification of consumers’ needs. This in turn helps in development of products and services according to the customers’ expectations. Thomas cook should conduct research so as to identify consumers’ preferences (Crooks and et.al, 2011). This in turn supports the organization’s efforts to devise customized services.
High value proposition: The concept of marketing focuses on delivery of high value proposition to its customers. The business units should emphasize on creation of entire value proposition for its customers. The concept of marketing believes in producing products that are required by consumers through combination of tangible and intangible products.
Customer retention: One of the important concepts of marketing is consumer retention. The business unit can adopt effective marketing strategies so as to retain customers for long run. It can be therefore said that the marketing principles help in efficient retention of customers (Gooroochurn and Sugiyarto, 2005).
Relationship marketing: The marketing aspects also focus on maintaining long-term and healthy relationship with its customers. Thomas cook can sent e-mails, organize public events so as to enter into sound relationship with its customers.
1.2 Assess the impact of the marketing environment on individual travel and tourism businesses within Thomas Cook Group and tourist destinations with reference to Morocco and Egypt.
Thomas Cook is a prominent player in travel and tourism sector who has created wide presence across the globe. The marketing environment at different tourist destinations needs to be analyzed. An in-depth analysis of micro and macro environmental factors for Morocco and Egypt is presented underneath (Hankinson, 2005).
Micro environmental factors:
- Suppliers: Thomas cook provides a complete solution as a travel agent to its customers. The suppliers at Morocco provide a tourism package to Thomas cook within hospitality sector. The tourism package devised by Thomas Cook within Egypt and Morocco indicates that suppliers are highly supportive in nature (Gretzel and Yoo, 2008).
- Competitors: Thomas cook tends to face limited competition due to availability of limited number of firms. However, in order to face challenges offered by distinct set of market situations the business unit needs to evaluate competitors’ strategy. It is through implementation of competitive advantage that the organization is able to maintain its position in present world.
Macro environment factors:
The business unit needs to evaluate macro-environmental factors so as to formulate effective strategies for the success. It is through PESTEL analysis that Macro environmental factors related to the city can be evaluated.
- Political: The political conditions within Morocco and Egypt turn up to be highly secure in nature. The stable political condition tends to support economic growth and development. It can be therefore said that the political conditions within Egypt and Morocco are highly supportive in nature for Thomas cook to achieve economic growth (Rodriguez, 2013).
- Economical: It is essential for the business unit to operate in an economy where growth is happening at rapid pace. High and stable economic growth is considered to be supportive factor for Thomas cook in Egypt and Morocco.
- Social: Egypt and Morocco constitute of varied range of cultural patterns. Thomas cook can provide distinct set of cultural experiences to tourists. The existence of variety of culture is considered to be positive factor for supporting operations at Thomas cook (Destination marketing, 2015).
- Technological: In present era technology is developing at rapid pace. Egypt and Morocco are no exceptions to present technological developments. It can be therefore said that the far off countries are easily connected to each other in present world. This in turn helps in supporting growth in tourism industry.
- Legal: The legal regulations within different countries are expected to highly impact travel and tourism sector. The lenient legal regulations help in supporting operations within business unit. Thomas cook as a leading player in travel and tourism sector is expected to achieve high level of growth due to linnet legal policies.
- Environmental: The environmental factors in Egypt and Morocco are highly positive in nature. The tourists tend to get attracted due to positive environmental conditions which support growth of Thomas Cook (Evans, Stonehouse and Campbell, 2012).
1.3 Discuss the factors affecting consumer motivation and demand in the travel and tourism sector
The management of Thomas Cook considers various while developing tour packages for Morocco or Egypt. In this context, different factors associated with tourist destination are explained below that affect the consumers’ motivation and demand of tourism products and services:
- Tourist destination: Morocco and Egypt are situated in the westernmost and easternmost corners of North Africa. These two Muslim nations have recorded significant growth in travel and tourism business. This is because Morocco and Egypt have impressed different tourists from all over the world through ancient architecture and colourful culture (Gooroochurn and Sugiyarto, 2005).
- Tours attraction: It is considered as most important element that influences decisions of an individual regarding selection of a best place to visit. In this context, it is evaluated that Morocco is identified as most important place to examine and feel Islamic architecture. In the context, Morocco's imperial cities of Rabat, Meknes, Fés and Marrakech have been ranked as the country's foremost attractions from different tour operators. In addition to that The old town of Meknes has been placed as UNESCO World Heritage Site. On the otehr hand, Egypt is identified as one of most popular destination of world that is also termed as master peace of ancient engineering that includes Sphinx and pyramids that attracts several individuals who want to explore historical things.
- Hospitality services: Both countries are offering wide range of hospitality services based on Islamic culture and traditions. In addition to that various multinational hotel groups are also offering all kind of food cuisine as per the interest of tourist that plays important in selection of best place for visiting (Garín-Muñoz and Pérez-Amaral, 2011).
- Connectivity: Several airline companies and tour operators are offering wide range of transportation services from outside the country to Morocco and Egypt so as visitors from all over the world are to reach these destinations without any difficulty. It plays important to attract visitors from all over the world.
DISSERTATION HELP UK
Acquiring Degree With Honors Is Now Made Easy
- Premium Writing Services at Affordable Prices
- Buy Custom-Written Dissertation Samples Online
- Help from UK’s most Trusted Academic Experts
1.4 Analyze the principle of market segmentation and its uses in marketing planning at Thomas Cook
For selection of target visitors or tourists, the management of Thomas Cook are able to develop an appropriate plan to attract consumers for tourist destination of Morocco and Egypt. In this context, approach of market segmentation plays important role.
- Geographic Segmentation: It is an important criteria of market segmentation which is carried out as per the location, nation and religion. For the tourist of destination of Morocco and Egypt, Thomas Cook is focusing on people related to Islamic religion so as they can assess best experience of Islamic culture and traditions (Isa and Ramli, 2014).
- Demographic Segmentation: The factors of this segmentation can be termed as age, business and sexuality. In the context of present investigation, managers are focusing on young age people who are interested in history and culture.
- Psychographic segmentation: It is done by considering lifestyle of people such as researcher, architecture and students who want to learn of ancient architecture and history.
Market segmentation is termed as most basic criteria of strategic marketing planning that plays important role in promotion tour package of Thomas Cook along with tourist destination. On the basis of market segmentation, company is focusing on the young age researcher and architecture who have special interest in historical traditions and arts so as they can increase their learning of about different aspect Islamic culture traditions (Hassan and Craft, 2012). Furthermore, this element also supports management of Thomas Cook and local authorities of both destination for developing appropriate marketing strategies and selection of best promotional tools to influence interest of visitors from all over the world.
Task 2: Understand the role of marketing as a management tool in travel and tourism
2.1 Analyze the importance of strategic marketing planning for Thomas Cook
In general, strategic marketing planning can be defined as the way through which company develops, plan and implement the smart and effective marketing strategy. Further, it importance can be understood effectively by understanding its process. However, its process consist of three main phases in which first phase is all about segmentation techniques through the means of which target market is divided into different parts. On the basis of which in second stage marketing planning profile of different parts of segmented market is prepared. Further, the profile revenue in which market share and profitability potential is being highlighted. By the means of these phases managers are able to analyze the segmented market and as per the nature of product, best suitable segmented market is selected in which firm can focus on attaining the growth of business at quick pace (Cook and Marqua, 2014).
Lastly, in the final stage of the process, on the basis of market segmentation, strategy is formed in which importance of market segmentation comes into existence. On the basis of it, management is able to prepare the strategic planning. However, having no inputs or valuable information, the market strategy of the firm could be developed in wrong way which could lead to generate adverse results and Thomas Cook may face huge monetary and non-monetary loss. Therefore, with the help of market segmentation, managers of Thomas Cook gets the idea about the target market so that they can accordingly develops the strategy to market products and services in effective and efficient manner (Evans, Stonehouse and Campbell, 2012).
2.2 Discuss the relevance of marketing research and market information to managers in the travel and tourism sector
According to the present corporate world, managers make strategic decisions on the basis of market research and information. It is the duty of top level management of Thomas Cook to conduct market research on constant basis so that they can easily understand the changing needs and wants of market and make sure that the strategies and tactics employed are addressing the course of business in positive way. Further, with the market research, managers of Thomas Cook comes to know about the behaviour of consumer (Hankinson, 2005). With changing trends and environment consumer buying behaviour also changes thus, it is important for the cited firm to carry out market research on routine basis so that they can bring modifications within the services offered. Therefore, it can be said market research is important for the managers in travel and tourism sector. Further, with the help of this, it helps the management of Thomas Cook to compete in such a competitive market and retain its position for long term.
2.3 Assess the influence of marketing on society
There are several ways through the means of which marketing influences the society. However, thinking and life style of people are changed due to advertisements of the products. In this regard, it is important for the management of the companies to develop or design suitable and reliable advertisements which does not hurt the social aspects of the people as well as company can create awareness about its products in effective and efficient manner (Rodriguez, 2013).
At times, marketing creates negative image within the minds of the target audience which directly leads the failure of the company. Nowadays, to promote the products, companies undertakes attractive ways which at time affects the children’s negatively. In advertisements a very high lifestyle is shown and people try to imitate lifestyle in their personal life. Even they have little money they imitate a lifestyle shown in the advertisement. Therefore, it can be understood that marketing create negative image within the minds of people living in the society. But marketing is integral part for the businesses because it helps in creating awareness about the products and services that available for the consumers (Hassan and Craft, 2012).
Task 3: To understand the role of the marketing mix in the travel and tourism sector
3.1 Discuss issues in the product, price and place elements of the marketing mix
Tourist industry is growing with the high speed and thereby offer large number of destination or tour packages to their customers. In this, marketing mix plays a vital role in achieving success in the dynamic business arena. There are several issues which are related to marketing mix place adverse effects upon the growth and success of an organization. Thus, Thomas Cook needs to be taken into consideration the following issues while framing the marketing fix are as follows:
- Product: It is the most important element of marketing mix which plays a vital role in satisfying the needs and wants of the customers. Nevertheless, different customers have different needs and desires which creates difficulty in front of the marketer in making suitable product in terms of holiday packages (Hassan and Craft, 2012).
- Price: Usually, customers are very price sensitive in nature as well as compare the price the product with the quality and feature. Thus, price aspect also impose problem in front of Thomas Cook in relation to setting the appropriate price for the product or services.
- Place: Thomas Cook make use of email and other forms of electronic communication to provide information about the tour packages to their customers.
- Promotion: Thomas Cook undertakes social media marketing to promote the tour packages around the globe (Gooroochurn and Sugiyarto, 2005).
3.2 Assess the importance of services sector mix elements to the travel sector
The service sector consist of several beneficial elements that are important for the travel and tourism sector. The marketing of the services have inter-related relation with the different elements of tourism sector:
- People: They are considered as the important aspects of the tourism sector. However, currently market is very intensive because of the people and their varied expectations. Therefore, it is important for the management of Thomas Cook to assess the requirement of the people and accordingly develop the services for attracting large number of audience.
- Physical evidence: In the travel and tourism sector, services offered like packages are considered to be intangible in nature. Therefore, it is important to showcase all the essential information that clients is required so that better perception towards the destination can be developed (Crooks and et.al, 2011). Generally this element represents the environment in which the client is offered with the packages. Therefore, cited firm should ensure that the packages they offer are attractive as well as according to the needs and wants of customers.
- Process: In the selected sector, tactics and strategies play crucial role in order to make the customers convinced so that they can be retained for long periods. In this regard, proper process is being followed by the firm which consist of effective planning, organising and controlling of different activities so that quality can be offered to the target audience (Isa and Ramli, 2014).
Have a look at our latest dissertation samples!
3.3 Apply the concept of the Total Tourism Product to an individual tourism business
Looking at the present condition of UK, tourism sector can be defined as the highly growing sector in terms of market share as well as employment opportunities. It is the combinations of different products which are offered on the basis of customer expectations and requirements. The concept of total tourism is that it ensures to meet each and every components of customer expectations and ensure highest level of satisfaction so that they can be retained for long term periods (Hankinson, 2005). Considering the demand, Thomas Cook will offer package in summer 2016 from Morocco and Egypt so as to meet the expectations of customers in the best possible manner. Further, they are included in the form of accommodation services, transportation services and other services.
Task 4: Be able to use the promotional mix in travel and tourism
4.1 Assess the integrated nature and role of the promotional mix
Promotional mix involves certain elements that acts as an aid in making promotion product and services in an effective manner. This is in order to aware people regarding products and services. This attracts the personnel to a greater extent. The several promotional mix includes:
- Advertising: Under this advertisement is offered by the organization through several social media sites and newspaper. Such is with the aim to provide information in relation to tour packages to customers. Such highly affects the sales of the business to a greater extent. The role of advertisement can be greatly viewed towards promotion of business. Further it acts as an aid in developing unique image of brand in the market. This ensures satisfaction among target market in an effective manner (Cook and Marqua, 2014).
- Personal selling: Thomas Cook focuses on personal selling of tour plans in order to attract numerous customers through development of personal relationship. Through this business can determine needs and preferences of buyers.
4.2 Plan and Justify an integrated campaign for Thomas Cook summer 2016 holidays to Morocco and Egypt
Here, integrated promotional campaign has been developed by the management of Thomas Cook in regard to promote the summer 2016 holidays in Egypt and Morocco. These are as follows-
Step 1- Business is required to provide proper knowledge regarding the target market while launching the promotional campaign. Thus, such tool helps firm to offer proper information to the target marketing regard to satisfy the needs of consumers.
Step 2- Further, after making the evaluation of the target market, Thomas Cook is required to undertake effective channel of advertising in order to make best relationship with consumers and attract target audience (Alegre and Cladera, 2009).
Step 3- Moreover, after developing the integrated plan it is essential for business to look upon the promotional campaign so that tourist’s requirements can be fulfilled.
Step 4: Further there is requirement for the business to involve appropriate content with respect to detail regarding tour packages so that understanding can be developed.
Step 5: It is important that message possess suitable format so that greater integrity is ensured.
Step 6- At the end, team work is required in order to develop integration among marketing campaign so that best results can be attained (Rodriguez, 2013). Through carrying out work in coordination it helps in developing strengths and overcome weaknesses so that best results can be attained.
The report proposed herewith emphasizes on evaluating role of marketing in travel and tourism sector. It is seen that the businesses in travel and tourism sector tends to attract large number of consumers through adoption of marketing practices in an efficient manner. Further, Thomas cook is found to effectively conduct its operations in different parts of world. Egypt and Morocco are destinations that tend to attract large number of customers. It can be therefore said that the Thomas cook has high growth opportunities within country such as Egypt and Morocco.
Books and Journal
- Alegre, J. and Cladera, M., 2009. Analysing the effect of satisfaction and previous visits on tourist intentions to return. European Journal of Marketing.
- Cook, R.A. and Marqua, J.J., 2014. Tourism: The Business of Hospitality and Travel. Pearson Education.
- Crooks, V.A., et.al., 2011. Promoting medical tourism to India: Messages, images, and the marketing of international patient travel. Social Science & Medicine.
- Evans, N., Stonehouse, G. and Campbell, D., 2012. Strategic management for travel and tourism. Taylor & Francis.
- Garín-Muñoz, T. and Pérez-Amaral, T., 2011. Internet usage for travel and tourism: the case of Spain. Tourism Economics.
- Gooroochurn, N. and Sugiyarto, G., 2005. Competitiveness indicators in the travel and tourism industry. Tourism Economics.