You might be knowing what gamified learning is. Well, it is basically a teaching methodology that builds the course curriculum and the objectives of the course around a game-like scenario. The purpose of this technique is to promote students’ engagement and motivate them to participate in the course activities. Nowadays, this entire concept of gamified education has become very popular. And several companies have created game platforms for many different subjects.
If implemented properly, many professors have found that by adding games in their classrooms they have improved course assessment results. Also, students have become more attentive and productive.
However, a few critics claim that gamification is, in fact, a fad that doesn’t help to teach students anything meaningful. Also, many professors do not consider it as a serious learning.
There is sufficient research on either side of the argument to support both views. So, here are a few pros and cons to help you analyze whether a gamified classroom is right or not.
- The biggest benefit of video games in education is the interest students show in learning because of their mindset that games are interesting. Video games are in trend and kids know how to use these gadgets really well, so inserting this trend in education is considered a better learning technique by many professors.
- It acts as an effective approach for improving problem-solving and critical thinking skills of students. Educational video games involve a lot of thinking. Therefore, students can enhance their critical thinking skills easily while playing and enjoying the games. In fact, storytelling is also helpful in building life skills in children. Teachers can implement paperwork alongside the games, with activities that relate it, for example quiz, event-planning, etc.
- Video games can also improve patience and decision-making abilities. Also, games with difficulties can build different experiences in players, such as hard games invoke patience, whereas easier games are played for enjoyment and relaxing.
- Gamified learning also illustrates complex social issues that often require thinking and planning. With this technique, social issues can be demonstrated to the students, and they can learn to think of consequences and solutions.
- Games are very captivating due to several visual variables, such as scenery, characters, colors, etc. This can, therefore, expose a creative side of students with design elements and principles involved.
- Violence in games can cause behavioral problems in students. As video games are mostly violent, teachers get doubtful for its implementation. Kids may turn more aggressive after playing realistic violent games.
- Some teachers also feel that classroom necessities, such as books, should be placed before video games. Books and reading provide a calmer aspect of learning instead of constant technological productivity. Plus, books offer better learning in the subject of English, on allowing students how to respond to texts, increase vocabulary, and write essays.
- Parents usually don’t like when children spend excessive time on video games, and teachers also don’t desire the same. However, if gamified learning is implemented in classrooms, then kids would have video games with them all the time, this can tempt them to play games that is not relevant to the course. Traditional forms of education are, therefore, desired by schools and parents.
- It can be difficult for teachers to monitor all students in gamified learning and make sure everyone is opting for the same level of difficulty.
- Teachers may not be familiar with using video games to utilize their maximum benefits. Therefore, this becomes an another issue to discard video games in classroom learning.
There is no doubt that video games and other technologies are creating both a positive as well as a negative impact on the lives of 21st-century children. These pros and cons are important to consider when choosing how games could support education.
In case you are seeking education dissertation help, stop your search right away and contact our professionals immediately. We, at Online Dissertation Writing, provide top-notch dissertations to scholars from all across the UK. Contact our executives right away and get the best dissertation help at the most affordable prices.