Being one of the influential first world countries, the United Kingdom has tied business threads with almost all the nations of the world. Furthermore, Britishers have been known for many things throughout the human history, and this is the reason why tellurians still consider this European island nation as a centre of finance and culture. Well, do you know that there are several intriguing facts buried under the Great Britain soil? You will be amazed on reading them. To give you a quick snapshot of some of the most interesting facts, our dissertation writers have meticulously composed this write-up. So without much ado, take a quick look.
- The London Underground is one of the largest and oldest transport systems in the world. It comprises 270 functioning stations and around 400 escalators, making the entire world astonished with its magnificence.
- Road signs in Wales are written in both English and Welsh, but some of the misspelled welsh translations will leave you flummoxed. Many of the road signs throughout the country might confuse drivers as they don’t make any sense.
- A Welsh town, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwlllllandysiliogogogoch is known to have the longest name in the world. You would have definitely stumbled on pronouncing it, well you need not worry about learning its tough enunciation as this town can also be referred to as Llanfairpwll. But, you can definitely impress your friends on telling this longest town name.
- Do you know the official name of the Tower of London? It’s “Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress of London.” The building holds all the jewels of the Queen of England, including 25,578 gems and the 530-carat Cullinan diamond that was the largest diamond ever found until 1985.
- The most acknowledged residents of the Tower of London are Ravens. According to an old legend, there must be six ravens in the residence always, and if the birds fly away or leave, then the British Monarchy and the White Tower will crumble and fall. Therefore, to be on the safe side, usually, eight birds are kept inside the premises.
- The United Kingdom used postage stamps for the first time in the entire world in May 1840. The first stamp was known as the Penny Black and cost 12 pence. However, nowadays it’s not as cheap to send a letter as it was then, the price of a first-class stamp is 65 pence, and that of a second class stamp is 56 pence.
- There are over 100 universities across the United Kingdom, and Oxford and Cambridge are always counted as the most famous educational establishments of the world. And because of the impressive international reputation, students from various parts of the world choose the nations of this sovereign state in order to accomplish their higher education.
- The British author, J.K. Rowling, is the first writer in the world to become a billionaire. Around 400 million copies of her books have been sold and published in 55 different languages, including Latin and ancient Greek too. Rowling is also counted in the five self-made female billionaires in the world.
- Here comes an astonishing one that might leave you to think how crazy Britishers are in terms of following traditions. Over the course of the two-week event of Wimbledon Tennis Championships, around 27 tonnes of strawberries and 7,000 litres of cream are consumed annually as a part of the event’s famous dish.
- Football was invented in England when Anglo-Saxon farmworkers found the skull of a Danish warrior while ploughing their field. To show their bitter feelings towards the Danes, they began kicking the skull among themselves. And this way the most renowned sport of the world supposedly got its start. Moreover, for many days the game was recognized as “Kicking the Dane’s head.”
- Loch Ness is not just famous as the largest body of fresh water in the United Kingdom; it is also known for inhabiting a monster. And people believe that because of the Loch Ness monster, also called Nessie, the lake never freezes. There have been over 1,000 reported sightings of this creature proving its existence.
These facts don’t stop over here; there are numerous still buzzing around the United Kingdom. Hope you enjoyed reading the blog!
Well, if you are seeking dissertation writing help, then you have arrived at the perfect place. We are the most sought-after academic writing service providers in the UK. So, without giving any second thought, place your order with us right away. We assure to deliver you the best possible work that can secure your dream grades. Contact us now and avail the additional discount offers as well!