Laws are created to regulate the behavior of a person, company, the government at the center and states, and any other entity. While some laws safeguard people and their properties, some are utterly bizarre, outdated, and plain wrong. Almost every country in the world seems to have a collection of such weird laws, and the United Kingdom is no exception. With a long legal history, the country has some pretty strangest laws on the books.
We have compiled a list of 10 of the most bizarre British laws that are still enforced. Have a look:
1. Disturbing people willfully by ringing their doorbell or knocking their door is also illegal in the United Kingdom. So, next time you ring someone’s doorbell and run, remember that it can land you in trouble.
2. Erecting a washing line across any street is a criminal offense under section 28, Town Police Clauses Act 1847.
3. You can be sent behind bars if found keeping a pigsty in front of your house unless it is duly hidden.
4. Singing any profane or obscene song or ballad in any street of the UK is illegal, and you can be charged for the same.
5.In the Metropolitan Police District of the UK, it is an offense to shake or beat any carpet rug or mat in the streets. However, the citizens are allowed to beat a doormat before 8 a.m.
6. A Yorkshire law allows its citizens to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except on Sundays. Similarly, in Chester, it is legal to shoot a Welsh person with a crossbow after midnight.
7. One of the laws of London forbids a person with a notifiable disease (including the Plague) from entering any public conveyance.
8. Dying in the Houses of Parliaments is illegal.
9. You are breaking the law if you place a postage stamp bearing the monarch’s head upside down on an envelope. Also, destroying or defacing anything bearing a likeness of the king is considered an act of treason in the UK.
10. If you're living in the UK and using a television without a license, then you can be charged with a criminal offense.
11. It is illegal for a woman to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
12. Under the Licensing Act of 1872, a British citizen can be sentenced to jail or fined if found operating a cow, horse or steam engine while intoxicated.
13. If you are fond of mince pies, then you should avoid eating it on Christmas Day as it is illegal. Oliver Cromwell formed this law because he believed that mince pies were insufficiently Puritan.
14. It is legal for a male to piss in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motorcycle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
15. You are breaking the law if you eat a Mute Swan unless you are the Queen of England.
These were some of the strangest and ridiculous laws that still exist in the UK. We hope you’ve found this blog interesting to read. For more such write-ups, keep on visiting us.
You can connect with us if you are facing any issue in completing your academic work. We, at Online Dissertation Writing, has a pool of knowledgeable professional who is adept at providing writing assistance on different law dissertation topics. Scholars studying in leading UK universities seek our help to fetch incredible grades in their academic documents.
So, wait no more and contact us now to live a stress-free college life!